Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Free Marketing Tips: Make Your Message Clear

Make a marketing message clear even if it means sacrificing some creativity. People have little time to think and ponder.

Here's a marketing case study worth a closer look. See if you agree if you're from Southern California, otherwise, perhaps there's a similar case in your area.

Forest Lawn Mortuary has done a magnificent job of marketing a subject that people don't want to discuss. After all, Southern California is about glitz and glamor, right? Even when one of the biggest stars of pop . . . oh, well . . .

I was driving in North Hollywood today when I noticed a billboard on Lankershim showing an older woman (70+) with the slogan "Former NFL Linebacker" and below "don't have someone else's funeral."

Okay. Then I remembered another Forest Lawn billboard I saw on the 605 South near the 60 freeway east of Los Angeles with a heavy set bearded man and the notation "Served under Regan" and below "Don't have someone else's funeral."

When I saw that one I thought, "huh?" and the same with the woman.

While thinking about it all day today, I then thought about the focus of the marketing message: you're also important, it's your celebration. Hmm, but I don't know.

I feel that Forest Lawn is mixing elements for the marketing message on the billboard.

I've thought about it . . . and thought about it. Maybe I'll try to call them and do a brief interview with them. I certainly have respect for their marketing efforts.

Here's my free marketing tip: creativity is strongest when the elements blend together well in support of a clear message. Does what you're saying seem too simple? Hey, that may be acceptable.

In my opinion, a clear marketing message is created when a benefit to the target audience is clearly stated.

No comments: